There are three types of hemp-derived CBD products available in the US: full spectrum, broad spectrum, and CBD isolate. This leaves many consumers questioning the difference between them.
Full-spectrum CBD offers a wide range of cannabinoids and terpenes (including up to 0.3% of THC). broad spectrum CBD also offers a wide range of cannabinoids and terpenes except for THC. While CBD isolate contains pure CBD only.
Amongst the three types of CBD, the most popular and widely used one is CBD isolate. So why is that?
In this article, we will explain everything you need to know about CBD isolate.
What is CBD isolate?
CBD isolate is 99% pure CBD. It lacks all the other cannabinoids, terpenes, or any other plant materials. Due to the lack of terpenes, CBD Isolate does not have any smell or taste, while full-spectrum CBD or broad-spectrum CBD has an earthy taste and smell.
Additionally, a CBD isolate product should be labeled as 99% or 100% of pure CBD, although, it may contain other carrier ingredients, it must not contain other cannabinoids like THC or terpenes.
How is CBD isolate made?
While CBD isolates can be found in both hemp and cannabis plants, so they can be extracted from both plants, however, the extraction process is similar in both cases. Such as, a hemp or cannabis plant undergoes four steps of complex processes to make a CBD isolate compound:
1- Distillation: In the first step, the raw hemp or cannabis plant is treated with a solvent like supercritical CO2, and undergoes a distillation process where CBD starts to isolate at a molecular level. This results in full-spectrum CBD.
The distillation process is again repeated to completely remove THC from the compound.
2- Chromatography: In this step, all the plant materials are removed including terpenes which are responsible for smell and taste. Additionally, chromatography also removes unwanted cannabinoids like CBN and CBG.
3- Winterization: This process is also known as alcohol wash, where the compound goes through an extraction at an ice-cold temperature that removes the remaining material of the plant including fats, waxes, and lipids, this results in pure CBD.
4- Decarboxylation: In the last step, the pure CBD is exposed to heat and light which removes any residual impurities and increases its bioavailability, which gives you pure CBD powder as the end result.
How long does it take for CBD isolate's effects to kick in?
The effects of CBD isolate vary on the type of product you are using but usually, it takes between 30 minutes to 2 hours to see the immediate effect of a CBD isolate product, however, its full potential can only be observed after a couple of weeks of consistent use.
Is CBD isolate legal?
Hemp-derived CBD Isolate is completely legal in all 50 states of the US, as it does not contain any THC, so there are no restrictions from any state.
You can purchase a CBD isolate product at your local CBD store or shop from online from a genuine brand that also provides a detailed product information and the COA (certificate of analysis) which authenticates the quality of the product.
Additionally, CBD isolate is free from THC, so it will not show up in any drug test screening.
Check the CBD laws of your state, here.
Benefits of CBD isolate
When you intake CBD isolate, it interacts with the CB receptors in your body to assist and balance the endocannabinoid system, this results in benefits, like
- Ease in stress and anxiety: According to research, CBD has the potential to provide relief in stress and anxiety disorders, including panic disorder, social anxiety disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) when administered acutely.
- Promotes healthy sleeping patterns: A 2019 research was conducted to test whether CBD helps improve sleep in clinical populations. A group of 72 adults participated. It is found that around 66% of adults reported improved sleeping scores within the first month of CBD use.
- Ease in pain and inflammation: According to 2020 research, CBD has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. While the test was conducted by administering CBD isolate, it is found that full-spectrum CBD will be more effective because of the entourage effects.
- Reduces seizures: A 2019 research suggests that CBD has neuroprotective properties and shows the potential in reducing seizures and can be used in treating different forms of epilepsy.
- CBD isolate is also known to provide relief from nausea, hypertension, certain addictions, and skin conditions.
CBD isolate is THC free, so even at a higher dosage, there is no need to worry about feeling drowsy, intoxicated or testing positive for a drug test.
Drawbacks of CBD isolate
- Due to the lack of THC and other cannabinoids, CBD isolate will be less effective than full-spectrum or broad-spectrum CBD in certain conditions.
- With CBD isolate, you can’t experience the full benefits of CBD due to the lack of entourage effect.
- CBD is known to interact with certain kinds of medications especially the ones with a “grapefruit” warning, but compare to full Spectrum, CBD isolate is less likely to interact with other medications.
- There are certain minor side effects of CBD like change in appetite, drowsiness, dry mouth, and mood change but they are very rare, well tolerated, and bound to pass with time.
Should you try CBD isolate products?
CBD isolate is the best option for people who want to reap the benefits of CBD without worrying about the psychoactive compound THC.
If you live in a state like Idaho where THC is illegal, then CBD isolate will be a perfect choice. It’s effective in many health conditions and is usually cheaper than full spectrum and broad spectrum CBD.
Check out our handpicked list for the best CBD isolate products below.
- Under $30 = $
- Between $30 to $60 = $
- Over 60$ = $
Weedime’s pick for the best CBD isolate products
Plain Jane’s CBD Isolate Oil
- CBD Strength: 1000mg, 2000mg, & 5000mg of CBD per bottle
- Price: $ – $$$
- COA: Available
- Customer Review: “Wonderful product! Quick delivery! I’ve never slept better and it helps so much with mood/anxiety.”
Plain Jane is one of the best CBD brands that offer high-quality products at affordable prices. Additionally, their services are top-notch making them one of the best choices for shopping for CBD isolate.
Plain Jane’s CBD isolates oil is the purest CBD oil that comes in four flavor options (natural, blood orange, chocolate mint, & lemon-lime) and according to the reviews, it is loved by hundreds of people.
Joy Organics CBD Isolate Gummies
- CBD Strength: 300mg of CBD per bottle
- Price: $$
- COA: Available
- Customer Review: “This is my first time with CBD. I researched for the highest quality ingredients and I’m glad I chose Joy Organics. The gummies are working for me to take the edge off my tendencies to over worry. And, my sleep improved in the deep sleep area. Very thankful.”
Gummies are one of the best ways to consume CBD because you can never go wrong with the dosage. Moreover, a CBD brand like Joy Organics that makes high-quality, delicious CBD gummies are more reasons to choose gummy.
These CBD isolate gummies are a perfect choice for cannabinoid beginner as they offer 10 mg of pure CBD per gummy and they come in two delicious flavor options (green apple & strawberry lemonade) and according to the reviews, they work wonders.
Green Roads CBD Isolate Softgels
- CBD Strength: 750mg of CBD per bottle
- Price: $$
- COA: Available
- Customer Review: “I love this product! I feel more focused and relaxed just after one week of using these softgels. Once a day in the morning is all I need to feel better. Would highly recommend.”
Green Roads are one of the biggest names in the CBD industry that uses an in-house team of highly qualified pharmacists to produce top-quality CBD products like this CBD isolate soft gels.
Green Roads CBD soft gels are one of their most popular products that come in three functions option (sleep, relax, & everyday wellness). Additionally, they are vegan, gluten-free, and made from USA-grown hemp.
How did we choose the best CBD isolate products?
We have vetted each CBD isolate product in this article against the following criteria:
- A product must have an up-to-date certificate of analysis from an independent lab attached.
- It should be Farm Bill compliant and made from US-grown Hemp.
- it should be free from harmful substances, like pesticides, GMOs, metal solvents, and any other contaminants.
- We also considered the overall ingredients of the product, customer reviews, manufacturing process, and brand image of a CBD company.
CBD isolate is the safest way to intake CBD and it’s a great choice for people who are concerned about drug tests in the workplace or want to completely avoid other cannabinoids like THC.
However, CBD isolate isn’t as effective as the full spectrum, it does offer many benefits to the users.
When shopping for CBD isolate, check the updated COA (certificate of analysis) of the product and make sure it is free from impurities and does not contain any other cannabinoids.
The information in this article is intended for general use only and may not always be appropriate for everyone’s needs. Your health and wellness are unique to you, so before acting on anything we say, seek personalized advice from a medical professional.
We value the accuracy and editorial integrity of all our articles, and we strive to ensure that the content we publish is accurate and up-to-date to the best of our knowledge.
This article contains affiliate links, but any opinions expressed in our content are solely those of the author and have not been provided by or endorsed by any advertisers.