At any Cannabis dispensary, you will find that the majority of cannabis strains are categorized as Sativa, Indica, and Hybrid, and at times you must have wondered what is the difference between them, What their highs are like, and Which one is the best suited for you?
In this article, we are going to talk about the difference between these weed strains, their effect, their pros and cons, and which one of them is best suited for you.
All the 3 types of cannabis strains have different highs. While sativa high offers more of an uplifting effect that makes you wanna do things, On the other hand, indica high gives you more of a relaxed and sedative feeling that makes you wanna sit on the couch all day or take a nap, and With a hybrid’s high, you can get the best of both world with no drawbacks. But it’s not that simple.
To understand this clearly, let’s talk more about these strains.
Sativa Cannabis Strains
Sativa or Cannabis Sativa is one of the most common strains found in the world. A sativa plant naturally grows in the warmer and highly humid parts of the world, i.e. Southeast Asia, Central America, and Africa.
Sativa plants have tall, thin leaves and the plant can grow up to 20 feet making them one of the tallest cannabis plants out there.
Cannabis sativa has lower amounts of CBD which can be less than 1%, While the amount of THC can reach up to 25% depending on the strain.
What does Sativa do to you?
Sativa’s effect is focused on providing a “head high” to the user, which makes them feel more focused, energized, and creative. When a person consumes the sativa cannabis strain, it boosts their serotonin level which makes them feel more happy, outgoing, and bold.
Sativa-high people are likely to engage in conversation with other people and are generally more inclined to engage in any physical activities. Sativa also provides relief from stress and anxiety. These properties of sativa make it a perfect strain for daytime use.
Sativa Pros and Cons:
- Sativa’s are known for providing relief in depression, anxiety, and headaches. It helps in increasing focus and concentration and generally makes you feel uplifted and energetic. sativa is great for parties and social get together.
- Certain sativa strains are known to cause insomnia or sleeplessness, so it is not recommended to consume sativa at night and for people who are trying to relax or sleep.
Popular Sativa Strains are:
- Amnesia Haze: It is one of the most popular sativa strains which is loved by users who like to smoke before doing any task, or who like to wake and bake. Amnesia Haze has an earthy smell that is known for its uplifting energetic buzz.
- Green Crack: It is one of the classic sativa Strains known for its energetic highs. It is a highly potent strain where the THC level can reach up to 25%. Green Crack is like drinking a cup of very strong caffeinated coffee.
- Sour Diesel: It is a Sativa with the most pungent diesel like smell. It is known for its energetic and focused effect.
Indica Cannabis Strains
Indica or Cannabis Indica are typically grown in hot, harsh, and dry environments of central Asia, It was first discovered in valleys of India and later bought all over the world.
Indica plants are much shorter and bushier than Sativa with broad, dark leaves which are known to produce dense buds. An indica plant can typically grow up to 6 feet tall.
Cannabis indica has higher amounts of CBD than Sativa, while its THC can reach up to 22%. Indica has a more balanced THC-to-CBD ratio.
What does Indica do to you?
Indica effects are focused on providing a “body high” to the user, which makes them feel more relaxed, calm, and sleepy. When a person smokes cannabis indica, it boosts their dopamine level which makes them feel a sedative effect that leads to muscle relaxation and provides a calming and soothing effect that further provides relief from physical pain, stress, anxiety, and insomnia.
A person with indica high is more likely to sit on the couch or take a nap. These properties of indica making it a perfect strain after a stressful day of work or for nighttime use.
Indica Pros and Cons:
- Indica’s are known to provide relief from physical pain, ease anxiety, stress, and nausea, and improve appetite. It is also great in providing relief for insomnia, combating seizures, and helping in taking a good night’s sleep.
- Indica strains sometimes induce drowsiness, which makes a person sleepy at an inappropriate time. It is not recommended to consume indica in the daytime, at a party, or at a get-together.
Popular Indica Strains are:
- Bubba Kush: It is one of the most popular indica that gives you a relaxing body high which helps you get relief from stress, pain, and anxiety, It has an earthy smell with a coffee-like aftertaste.
- Northern Light: It is one of the most popular strains of all time known for its unique medical qualities that put you in a Lazy mode and provide relief from anxiety, insomnia, and PTSD.
- Herijuana: It is also known as “Herojuana”. It is popular for its physical sedation effects that help provide relief from insomnia, migraines, stress, and overthinking.
Hybrid Cannabis Strains
Hybrid Strains are the results of crossbreeding of indica and sativa strains together.
A hybrid strain offers a mix of effects inherited from its parent strain which can either be sativa dominant or indica dominant. Some hybrid strains can also be 50% sativa and 50% indica. The physical appearance of a hybrid plant depends on its dominant parent plant, As an indica dominant hybrid plant will look more like an Indica plant while a dominant sativa hybrid will be more like a sativa plant.
A hybrid cannabis strain sometimes can be unique to its growers because a grower can create a new unique strain by crossbreeding other cannabis strains.
A hybrid cannabis can either be THC dominant or CBD dominant which depends on their parent.
What does Hybrid weed do to you?
Hybrid weed’s effects are focused on their parents’ strain, As a hybrid strain can either be indica dominant which will make you more relaxed and laid back and can make you feel sedated or sleepy. While a Sativa-dominant hybrid will make you feel energized, and focused, reduce anxiety & depression, and give you a general sense of happiness. The strains that you see in your local dispensary are mostly hybrid strains.
A hybrid weed will make you feel the effects of the dominant strain without its drawbacks.
Hybrid Pros and Cons:
Hybrid Weed typically offers all the benefits of dominant strains but it does not have the typical side effects of dominant strains.
For example, A typical indica strain will make your muscle relaxed, and help you provide ease in anxiety and stress, but it can also induce drowsiness which will make you sleepy at an inappropriate time. While an indica dominant hybrid strain will give you all the good qualities of indica but it will not make you feel as sleepy as a typical Indica does.
Popular Hybrid Strains are:
- Blue Dream: It is a sativa dominant hybrid strain that gives you a balanced high, and makes you feel more calm, relaxed, and provides relief in pain. Blue Dream has an earthy smell and a blueberry-like flavor.
- Girl Scout Cookies: It is an Indica-dominant hybrid strain that makes you feel happy, euphoric, and relaxed. Girl Scout Cookies have an earthy, citrus flavor.
- Pineapple Express: It is a Sativa-dominant hybrid that makes you feel uplifted, and happy, and provides relief from stress and anxiety. Pineapple Express has a citrus aroma which sometimes resembles that of a pineapple.
Many people use indica and sativa for different purposes. If you want a strain for daytime use where you can be high and just go on with your day feeling energized and happy, then you need a sativa high.
While if you are looking for something for nighttime where you can just be high, sit on a couch with snacks, watch your favorite show, or take a goodnight nap then you need an indica high.
If you want a balanced high that offers the best of both worlds then you need a hybrid strain. Choosing the right strains for you depends on your requirements and if you are still in confusion, just ask the budtender at your local dispensary.