As of now, 36 States of the U.S. have legalized cannabis for medical use, and in which 19 states have legalized it for recreational use also, but still, Cannabis is considered amongst the Schedule I substances, this begs the question, Is smoking weed bad for you? What are its effects on your physical and psychological health?
In this article, we are going to talk about everything you need to know about Weed, its effects on your body, how it can be harmful, and more. So let’s get into it.
THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol) is one of the main psychoactive ingredients of Cannabis that is responsible for stimulating a part of your brain which unleashes a chemical compound called dopamine in your body, that gives you a feeling of high.
The CBD (Cannabidiol) on the other hand is a little different, the CBD has a wide variety of Health and Wellness benefits.
Now, a lot of people and medical experts have different opinions on Cannabis, According to some, Weed is the greatest thing ever, and for some, it is a harmful drug. but truth be told there are still millions of people who use Cannabis around the world and live happy, healthy life.
With limited research, it is impossible to say anything for certain but we can not simply ignore the fact that many people have unpleasant experiences of Cannabis use, and for them, smoking weed certainly was a bad experience.
To understand these clearly, let’s talk about how Weed can be bad for you
How Can Weed be Bad For You?
- Marijuana is not regulated by the government, which means there is no fixed dosage for pot use, this sometimes leads to consuming too much cannabis especially for first-time users which leads to an unpleasant experience of feeling anxious or panicked.
- A high dosage of Cannabis for new users may cause Paranoia, distort reality, and can cloud their sense of judgment.
- Certain Cannabis strains can make a person harder to focus and remember things, but this is a temporary state which gets better in 24 to 48 hours after last use.
- Weed can be addictive to certain people, According to a study 1 in every 10 people may get addicted to Marijuana, but cannabis addiction is not as extreme as the addiction to Cigarettes and Alcohol because it is comparatively easy to quit Cannabis.
- There can also be certain complications while smoking weed during pregnancy.
- Regular Cannabis use for people under the age of 18 can be harmful because their brain is still developing, and heavy cannabis use may lead to Anxiety, Paranoia, Memory loss, and Depression.
- Cannabis withdrawal can sometimes cause short-term issues like irritation, sleep disturbance, insomnia, restlessness, nausea, increase heart rate, mood changes, and more, but they are generally mild and bound to fade with time.
- Smoking cannabis can expose a person to certain plant-based toxins and smoking also comes with the risk to inhale cannabis residuals which can cause certain complications. Although smoking marijuana is far safer than smoking tobacco but excess smoking of weed might lead to respiratory issues.
- Some experts claim that Cannabis is a gateway drug, which is mostly based on the theory that Cannabis users may try other hard substances to seek a more intense high, but truth be told Cannabis is a safer way of getting high without the risk of addiction or overdose which can be a great alternative over other hard substances. Even some drug rehabilitation centers are researching Cannabis use for the means of helping patients quit other addictive drugs.
- A heavy dosage of Marijuana is also known to affect a person’s sense of balance and muscle coordination, which makes it difficult to drive a vehicle, or do any task which requires proper attention, coordination, and balance. This effect can last up to 24 hours from last consumption.
- Daily, heavy dosage of marijuana consumption may lead to an increase in tolerance and dependence which may also lead to certain health issues like breathing problems, Coughing, lung irritation, and more, but these issues do not happen for everyone and they may not be life-threatening, it is advised to consult to a doctor when any such issues arise.
- Cannabis is not for everyone, For some people. Cannabis use may lead to Anxiety, Paranoia, tiredness, Illusion, Delusion, and more such issues which could further lead to Cannabis use disorder.
Is Weed Bad for Your Heart?
Smoking weed can make your heart race faster and causes irregular heartbeats, which can potentially be harmful to older people or a person with an existing heart condition.
It is advised to consult a doctor before marijuana consumption if you have an underlying heart condition.
Is Weed Bad for Your Lungs?
Smoking high amounts of poor quality Cannabis can sometimes inflame or irritate your lungs which can cause heavy coughing during use, if the coughing pertains for longer, this may cause your lungs to easily get infected.
Some Cannabis smokers tend to keep the smoke inside for a longer period of time before exhaling, this may lead your lungs to be exposed to certain harmful agents which could cause lung issues, Although there is no proof which states that any amount of marijuana can lead to Lung Cancer and more research and studies are needed to say anything for sure.
With this being said, there are still millions of people who still consume weed safely and do not encounter any side effects whatsoever and according to these people, Cannabis has never been a bad experience for them, rather it helps them cope up with various difficulties of their life.
How to Consume Weed Safely?
There are certain things a person need to keep in mind to consume weed safely:
- Know that there are other ways to consume Cannabis rather than just smoking, i.e. edibles, tinctures, tropicals, and more. Edibles in moderation can be a good and safe alternative to smoking cannabis.
- Never eat too many Edibles, know that edible generally takes 45 minutes to 90 minutes to kick in, so take in moderation and wait for the high.
- Avoid using Cannabis if you are under the age of 21.
- Try cannabis in moderation and try to avoid drinking alcohol when consuming.
- Avoid consuming poor-quality Cannabis strains.
- Stay hydrated.
Many people have varied opinions on cannabis use, for some weed is one of the best gifts of Nature, for others, it can be bad for you, but truth be told, the sources that say the bad thing about Cannabis are less trustworthy and are generally motivated by personal and professional gain.
There is still a need for research to be done on that matter to confidently say anything. The best thing a person can do is consume good quality cannabis in moderation, exercise caution, be open-minded, and figure out which Cannabis strains work for you, and if any complications arise consult an expert who knows more about cannabis use.
And if You are looking for a Safer Alternative to Cannabis, try CBD.