We all know that CBD is a compound that comes from the hemp plant and has a wide variety of benefits associated with it but most people confuse hemp oil or hempseed oil with CBD oil.
So, what’s the difference between hemp oil and CBD oil? Are they the same thing? And if CBD is extracted from hemp doesn’t that mean hemp oil should have all the benefits that CBD oil has to offer?
The short answer is hemp oil is not the same as CBD oil.
Hemp oil is made by pressing hemp seeds, it contains no CBD, no THC, and no other plant cannabinoids to speak of but it’s great for making varnish, paint, soap, and nutraceuticals. The protein-rich hemp seed oil contains omega-3 fatty acids and other healthful compounds.
CBD oil is a compound extracted from the flowers and leaves of the hemp or cannabis plants, that is known for easing symptoms of many common issues like anxiety, depression, chronic pain, and more.
Many people are mistakenly buying hemp seed oil, which has zero CBD thinking it offers the same benefit as CBD oil, but it doesn’t.
Comparision between hemp oil and CBD oil:
How they are made
- Hemp oil is made by pressing the seeds of the hemp plant.
- CBD oil is extracted from the flowers and leaves of the hemp or cannabis plant.
- Hemp oil contains higher amounts of protein, fiber, and omegas (good fats) which is the main component responsible for boosting the health of your brain, heart, skin, and immune system.
- CBD oil contains a wide range of cannabinoids, terpenes, and phytonutrients that interact with your body’s endocannabinoid system and maintain homeostasis which further provides a wide range of benefits to your overall health and well-beings.
- Hemp Oil is completely legal for sale, purchase, and use in the US.
- CBD oil is also legal, but some states have restricted the sale and use of full-spectrum CBD oils due to their THC content.
Hemp oil is comparatively much cheaper than CBD oil. For example, an ounce of 1000 mg CBD oil could cost somewhere between $30 to $100 depending on the type and company. However, you can get at least 4 ounces of good quality hemp oil for under $15 on amazon.
- You can purchase hemp oil on amazon or at your local store very easily.
- While CBD oil can be found only at a limited number of stores and its qualities can vary, It is not sold on Amazon. However, there are various companies like Green Roads and Plain Jane that sell good quality CBD oil online.
Side Effects of both oils are very rare and well-tolerated, but certain people can experience side effects like drowsiness, dry mouth, red eyes, and change in appetite when using both hemp oil and CBD oil.
- Hemp oil contains healthy fats, vitamins, and nutrients that work to improve the health of the skin, immune system, heart, and overall health.
- Nevertheless, hemp oil is a nutritional product, but it can not give you the same level of benefits as CBD, because CBD oil contains a wide range of cannabinoids and terpenes that work in synergy and create an entourage effect within that give a multitude of benefits to the user, ranging from anti-anxiety to anti-inflammatory, and sleep promotion.
- Hemp Oil comes in only one form, but its strength can vary from 500mg to 1,000,000mg.
- CBD oil comes in 3 types: full-spectrum CBD which contains a wide range of cannabinoids including THC(less than 0.3%), broad-spectrum CBD which contains a wide range of cannabinoids except for THC, and CBD isolate which contains pure CBD only.
All types of CBD oil also come in a wide range of strengths ranging from 100mg to 10,000mg.
Both CBD oil and hemp oil can be used as a tropical and can be ingested, however, they both interact in different ways within your body. Additionally, both of the oils are safe to take every day and there is no harm in taking both of them together.
- There is no way that hemp oil can come up in a drug test.
- While there is a good possibility that full-spectrum CBD oils can test positive on a cannabis drug screening because they contain THC.
Which one is better: hemp oil or CBD oil?
If you don’t have any tough health conditions and you are looking for a general wellness product that helps you maintain good well-being then hemp oil will be a good option for you. If you are trying to control certain health conditions like anxiety, stress, depression, seizures, insomnia, pain, and inflammation, then CBD oil will be a good option for you.
In some cases, hemp oil also provides relief in conditions like insomnia, minor pain, stress, and more but compared to CBD oil, it is far less effective.
There are a lot of differences between hemp oil and CBD oil. Hemp oil is a nutritional supplement that is a lot cheaper, and completely legal in every form.
While CBD oil costs more, and there is certain restriction over full spectrum CBD oils in some places, however it is far superior to hemp oil in terms of benefits.
Hemp oil is generally safe for purchase, but the same can’t be said about CBD oil. Because since CBD is not regulated by the FDA there are various companies selling sub-par CBD products which may cause more harm than good.
So exercise caution While purchasing CBD oil. Try to purchase CBD only from reputable brands and make sure to check the COA (certificate of analysis), and customer reviews before shopping for CBD.